Preventing Mold, Mildew and other Fungi in your home in Scottsdale, AZ, Maid Services
Preventing mold, mildew, and other fungi
Mold, mildew, and other fungi are fairly common in homes. Mold spores are constantly floating around in the air, and when they land on a damp or moist surface, such as a shower, they begin to grow and thrive. Mildew is mold that grows on fabric.
Mold, mildew, and other fungi are not only unsightly, they can also cause potential health problems like asthma, allergic reactions, and a number of respiratory problems. However, preventing mold, mildew, and other fungi is not difficult. The following are some tips.
Reduce moistureThe most effective way to control mold and mildew in the home is to reduce moisture and indoor humidity. You can do this by:
Clean up water spills and damage as soon as possible. Mold will begin to form within 24 to 48 hours of landing on a damp surface. That's why it's so important to clean and dry thoroughly anything that has been damaged by water. This includes carpeting, ceiling tiles, baseboards, and fabrics.
Use ventilation fans. When cooking in the kitchen, turn on the ventilation fans above the stove or anywhere else you may have them. Run the fan in the bathroom, especially when showering, to reduce and control moisture in the air. Make sure your clothes dryer is vented directly to the outside as well.
Use the air conditioner instead of keeping windows open. This is especially true for areas of the country that have high humidity.
Cleaning up moldYou can usually identify mold by its odor and color, which will usually be green, grey, or brown. Special cleaners are available specifically for mold and mildew control, and bathroom sprays work well. You can also use a water/bleach solution and water and detergent. Make sure it is antibacterial. Wipe or scrub the area and dry it thoroughly.
The grout of your showers, countertops, and tiles are especially prone to mildew because of the moisture and humidity from running hot water. When not cleaned regularly, mildew and other fungi can build up. This can be easily prevented by proper cleaning.
When you clean, make sure you wear latex or rubber gloves, as cleaning materials can be harsh on the skin. Make sure you never mix chemicals as well. You will also want to keep the room ventilated, so make sure the door is open or crack a window if there is one in the room. Once the room is ready and you are wearing gloves, take the following steps:Use a commercial grout cleaner or a heavy-duty, high-alkaline cleaner that contains bleach. These are the best for getting grout white again. Try the commercial cleaner first, as the harsher cleansers will be harder on the grout itself. Once you have sprayed on the cleaner, let the grout absorb it for several minutes or however long the package recommends.Use a soft bristled brush or specialized grout brush to clean the area. Harder brushes or wire brushes should be avoided, as they will agitate the grout and can wear it down. Rinse the area when you are done to wash away the cleanser.If you follow these steps and the grout still looks grimy and mildewed, try a deep-cleaning with the high-alkaline cleaner. When you do this, allow the cleaner to soak for a longer period of time.There are just a few tips for preventing mold, mildew, and other fungi.
Posted by K on December 19, 2008 08:05 AM | Permalink