Mari's Cleaning Services is a professional full-service residential cleaning and maid service that provides quality and affordable cleaning for your everyday needs in areas like Mesa, Arizona 85207. Voted "Best of 2012" by Kudzu.com.
Why are my glasses cloudy after washing in the dishwasher?
By Sarah Aguirre, About.com Guide
Is It Hard Water Deposits?
One of the most common problems with glassware occurs when hard water is involved. Hard water is water that contains a high number of minerals. Soap has a much more difficult time dissolving grime and dirt, and rinsing everything fully away, when water is hard.
To tell if your glasses are plagued by hard water deposits, try soaking a glass in vinegar for 5 minutes. If the cloudy deposits are removed, then hard water is your problem.
Controlling Hard Water Deposits
If you have hard water there are a few things you can try.
1. Fill up both dish detergent cups. More detergent may be effective at removing all of the deposits from your glasses.
2. Use a rinse aid. Liquid rinse aids will do, but a solid form of a rinse aid is sometimes more effective.
3. Check your water temperature. Run the water at your kitchen sink for 1 minute. Put a candy thermometer in a glass and run water into the glass to measure your incoming water temperature. Many dish detergent manufacturers recommend a temperature of 130 degrees.
Is It Etching?
If the cloudy film on your glassware isn't removed by the vinegar, your glasses may have etching. Etching is a wearing away of places on the glassware. Often it happens more commonly in areas with very soft water.
Controlling Etching on Glassware
There are a few ways to control etching on your glassware.
1. Don't pre-rinse so heavily. Modern dish washing detergents actually need a little bit of soil to work with. If you get all of it off before you wash your dishes, the chemicals in the dish washing detergent won't always get fully washed away and may do damage to your dishes, instead of the dirt.
2. Use less soap. This is especially true if you have soft water. Less soap will be needed, so experiment with using less to have a softer effect on your dishes.
3. Don't use a water softener. If etching is the problem, don't use a water softener with your dishwasher's water. The softer the water, the more likely you'll be to have etching occur.
House Cleaning Services in Mesa, AZ 85207, Maid Services in Mesa, AZ 85207, Housekeeping Services in Mesa, AZ 85207, House Cleaning Services in Mesa, AZ 85207, Professional House Cleaning Services in Mesa, AZ 85207, Professional Maid Services in Mesa, AZ 85207, Professional Housekeeping Services in Mesa, AZ 85207, Professional House Cleaning Services in Mesa, AZ 85207, Residential House Cleaning in Mesa, AZ 85207, Residential Home Cleaning in Mesa, AZ 85207, Home Cleaning Services in Mesa, AZ 85207, Home Cleaners in Mesa, AZ 85207, Residential Maid Services in Mesa, AZ 85207, Affordable Housekeeping in Mesa, AZ 85207, Affordable Maid Service in Mesa, AZ 85207