Mari's Cleaning Services is a professional and friendly maid service that provides quality cleaning in Mesa, Arizona 85213. We strive to make our customers happy by giving them more time with family and friends while maintaining a clean and wonderful home!
Clean Teak Furniture
By Sarah Aguirre, About.com Guide
Teak has become an immensely popular type of furniture, especially in outdoor living spaces. Teak wood is gorgeous and adds a lot of value to patio and other areas in your home. Want to know how to keep it clean and gorgeous?
Time Required: 20-30 minutes
- Decide on original finish or patina.
Do you want your teak furniture to stay its original honey wood color? Or do you want the natural soft silver gray patina that comes from exposure to the sun? The gray is only cosmetic and many people like how easy it is to care for teak furniture that's been allowed to develop a patina. Others prefer to continually seal and protect their teak furniture to maintain the original honey color.
- Pre-treat pieces with a teak protectant.
First treat your pieces with a teak protectant.
- General cleaning for all teak.
To clean teak, use either a manufacturer's suggested product. Or try a 2/1 ratio of a laundry detergent with bleach and water applied with a soft bristle brush.
- Rinse thoroughly.
Rinse your teak pieces with water to remove any dirt residue or leftover suds. If you want your teak to develop a gray patina this is all the care your furniture will likely need.
- To remove patina from teak furniture.
If you have a weathered piece of teak that you'd like to restore to its original finish, there are products on the market that can help. Usually these require at least a two-step process of applying caustic cleaners and acid. Read all manufacturer's instructions and use caution. Often a light sanding may be required to fully restore the piece.
- Seal your teak wood, if desired. Teak sealant can be used to preserve the honey color of teak furniture. Most teak sealers also contain agents that prevent the growth of mold and mildew.
- Oil, varnish, and water sealers aren't recommended or necessary on teak wood furniture. The natural oils in the wood seal out water. Varnish chips and flakes on the wood, requiring sanding to remove.
- Oily foods, ketchup, and some drinks can stain teak furniture. A clear coating is available to apply to teak furniture that will be used around food.
- Although teak is naturally resistant to water warping and rot, it's not a great idea to let water pool around your furniture.
What You Need
- Laundry detergent with bleach.
- Soft bristle brush
- Teak protectant (optional)
- Teak sealer (optional)
- Teak restorant (optional)
- Teak clear coating (optional)
House Cleaning Services in Mesa, AZ 85213, Maid Services in Mesa, AZ 85213, Housekeeping Services in Mesa, AZ 85213, House Cleaning Services in Mesa, AZ 85213, Professional House Cleaning Services in Mesa, AZ 85213, Professional Maid Services in Mesa, AZ 85213, Professional Housekeeping Services in Mesa, AZ 85213, Professional House Cleaning Services in Mesa, AZ 85213, Residential House Cleaning in Mesa, AZ 85213, Residential Home Cleaning in Mesa, AZ 85213, Home Cleaning Services in Mesa, AZ 85213, Home Cleaners in Mesa, AZ 85213, Residential Maid Services in Mesa, AZ 85213, Affordable Housekeeping in Mesa, AZ 85213, Affordable Maid Service in Mesa, AZ 85213